Following are the key issues discussed at the Jan. 29 Senior Staff meeting:
- Joan Fiscella and Joan Schuitema briefed Senior Staff about meetings at ALA about the CIC Google project. The outstanding issues for the UIC Library are what special collections to put forward for digitization; getting all of our bibliographic records to Google for analysis; how we would stage the shipment of material; what our messages to users will be when we send portions of our collections to Google. Joan Fiscella is leading the Library’s working group that is finding the answers to these questions. The first shipments to Google from any CIC library probably are estimated to begin in July 2008. Selection from UIC’s collection and scheduling for UIC has not yet been determined by Google.
- Senior Staff reviewed a draft of a document on our current policy and future considerations for utilizing warehouse and closed-stacks storage for materials. Steering Committee will discuss the document at its February meeting.
- Senior Staff worked on a draft of its highest priorities for 2008, as these fit into our strategic plan. Senior Staff will share these with the Steering Committee for discussion at the February meeting.
The 2008 Inspire Awards Committee invites you to nominate a UIC employee for the INSPIRE Award. The award is a component of the WOW Award program, and was first presented in the spring of 2007. It recognizes long-term, consistent, and outstanding professional service to the UIC community.
Anyone who is employed by UIC is eligible to receive an INSPIRE award. To submit a nomination, all that is needed is a letter of recommendation detailing how the individual exemplifies UIC’s core values, as described below:
Following are key issues discussed at the Jan. 22 Senior Staff meeting:
1. The Report of the Library Accessible for All Task Force (November 2007), submitted to Mary Case, will be posted on the staff pages of the Library’s Web site. An implementation committee, appointed by the University Librarian, will develop a plan for carrying out the recommendations in the report.
2. The University Librarian will contact library faculty eligible for the University of Minnesota Institute for Early Career Librarians.
3. Senior Staff discussed strategies for improving the reliability of public computers.
Support University of Illinois Primary Care Plus Practice (PCPP). This is an offer for you to experience Primary Care Plus for yourself. If you are interested in this offer, please email Roechel Ferry-Rooneyl so the necessary arrangements can be made.
Attached is a copy of the Primary Care Plus Flier for you to review.
Portico is pleased to announce the signing of an agreement with the Royal Society of Medicine (RSM) Press to preserve its entire online journals collection of 17 titles. RSM Press is the publishing arm of the Royal Society of Medicine, a long-established postgraduate medical society with a multi-disciplinary and multi-professional membership. RSM Press publishes books and journals for the medical professional and professionals working in related fields.
Maria Romero, Library Assistant in Acquuisitions/Order section, is now known as Maria Costello-Romero.
Photos from the 2007 Ice Cream Social are now available online. Please click on the thumbnail to view the album.
Please contact Jackie or Jessica in Daley Administration (6-2716) to book this room. Meeting attendee minimum is 15 people. Information on set-up preferences and equipment needs are required upon reservation.
Portico is pleased to announce the signing of an agreement with the MIT Press to preserve its entire online journals collection of 33 titles. The MIT Press is one of the largest American university presses in terms of number of books and journals published and overall sales. The MIT Press Journals Division publishes in many subject areas, including the arts and humanities, social sciences, and certain areas of science and technology.
Leo Kim has been appointed Visiting Research Programmer in Systems, effective Jan. 16.